Tuesday, November 08, 2005

What a day.

I want to blog about all the things we have seen and start with the positive before I blow you all out of the water with the bad.

Last night we met with Sasha, our interpreter from 11 years ago - it was great to see her and hear about what her life has been like. We went to Vesuvio's for pizza AGAIN and it was great AGAIN! We talked to Sasha about all the changes in Kiev (both good and bad) and we asked her if we were paranoid or if people were staring at us - she told us "No, people are probably staring - it is obvious you are American..." and we said WHY? She said "It is two things, your smiles and your eyes...you smile all the time and we don't. And your eyes - you are always looking with interest at everything. We know what is here and we don't look - we just look ahead and walk on...you look everything over." Hmmm. I guess we are easy to spot. But I don't see changing that anytime soon!

Now on the appointment. We had our appointment today at 11:00. You walk up 4 flights of stairs and then stand in tiny room panting for air. There are two doors (one on each side) and people go in and out and in and out. We were told to wait and when Vasya gave us the signal, follow quickly behind him. We waited for about an hour and then we went to the last room and sat with an attractive lady who asked us where we worked and what we wanted. Then the books came out. Six books full of pictures. We went through the books quickly and Vasya pulled out several that fit the age requirement - he said we would look at the health later. After about 5 books, he told me to start looking through the pile we had pulled out (which was about 7 sets of kids). I went through those and narrowed it down to about 4 sets. She took those 4 and systematically said something was wrong with each of them (grandma objected to adoption, had older siblings, siblings objected, etc.) and then we had a pile of nothing. Deep breath. Gloom. Impending doom...

She hands us two boys that another couple said they are not interested in - I don't know if they went to see them or not. She said they have an all-over skin rash. It was congenital and incurable. The name was unfamiliar to our interpreter (and of course, to us). A skin rash? How bad can that be? Well, three other couples had seen them and decided not to get them...but maybe they didn't want imperfect children. I was thinking exzema or something like that. They were a possibility and young - 2 and 3.

We decided to look at the single children. The older ones were OLDER - like 10 to 12 (although they were in the 5 to 8 book). So we looked at the younger book. They all had something seriously wrong. Like HIV or CP or Down's. Very hard book to look at. Very sad. More depressing gloom.

And then...it was time for them to go to lunch. So we went with the two rash boys. How bad could it be? Well, turns out it could be AWFUL. The term we were given is BULYOZNYI EPIDERMOLID - and what we went with (and were correct as Vasya eventually was able to translate it to Latin) was Epidermolysis Bullosa. Yeah. It's very rare...but Chel and Ki and Tom and I have seen a movie on it about the boy who lost his skin.

Did you hear the wind leave my lungs in a gasp? Did you hear my heart drop to the ground? Well it has. Do we know for sure that is what they have? No - but it IS what they have been diagnosed with. It can be mild and it can be lethal. Some things make it sound like that is what it is for sure and some things make it sound like it isn't. The head of the orphanage says that they are developing normally and they play normally and that all they have is this rash. EB causes VERY sensitive skin and it is unlikely that they could play normally with EB. But both have it and have since birth and EB is hereditary. They said it responded well to a cream sent from America once but when the cream ran out, the rash came back. EB doesn't respond to cream. So we don't know. We WILL go tomorrow and we will see. We are emotionally rung out before we even get started.

So, there you have it. Oh, no wait - there is more...after we left, Kostya said that he talked to another interpreter there with another American couple. They didn't take a referral the first appointment and were back for their second. They were not given a second appointment but were given an invitation to come back in 2006. Ouch.

So NOW there you have it. This may be our only chance. PLEASE PRAY FOR US. We need a whole lot of wisdom and discernment. Although I would love to have the heart to mother two children with a disease like this - I don't know if I have it in me. I just don't know. Not something I would sign up for in advance. On the other hand, maybe the diagnosis is wrong. On the other hand, maybe it isn't. I can tell you that I do not like being in this position. THIS HURTS BIG TIME.

Pray, pray, pray. Thank you Bradley and Chel for the help so far. We will update when we know what to update.

Tom and Lois

21 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom & Lois,
Wow! What a day...
Just keep holding on to the fact, that God knows what is best - for not only the two of you, but for those two precious boys as well...
What we can do, is pray that you will hear God's voice and know what He wants you to do!
You are in our thoughts and our prayers - and we will be "hitting our knees" a little extra for God to grant you wisdom.
Please keep us posted and don't forget we love you guys and can't wait to see you and your new family!
God bless,
The Osborne family

 
At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom & Lois
I have been reading all of your entries and the support you are being given by others.

I know that you are where you are for a reason and I am praying for wisdom, & peace for you two and cooperation for the officials that seem to be in control. That is the key - remember they may seem to be in control but we all know that God is in contol and He will be your strength in this difficult time.

Know that you are loved and we are all praying for you and your new family...God knows who that is, even if it isn't obvious to anyone else yet.

Stay safe!
Love- Connie & Russ

 
At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom & Lois,
We too will pray for you to have wisdom. What an emotional roller coaster for you, but you are strong and our God is strong, so hang in there and let Him lead you. Isn't it comforting to know that He is in control. God loves these two little ones and He loves Tom & Lois and that is what we know to be true.
Loveya,
Bud & Reta

 
At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We continue to pray. Remember it could be something simple still. May you know that through out today and the days to come, you are held in the palm of God's hand, regardless of the outcome.

We'll be awake praying while you are there.

You know our heart is aching as yours is right now!

Love you,
Ki and Chel

 
At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom & Lois,
I pray that you can feel the love and prayers that are going out to you guys right now. So many people love you guys, and we all know that God loves you even more. We will pray for wisdom and peace in your decision. I am just going to pray that by tomorrow when you meet these boys that God will make it completely obvious to you what you are to do. We love you guys,
Steve and Anita

 
At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom and Lois, (Since Art can't type-I'm typing as he talks.) Remember, God's plans are greater than anything we can imagine Molly and Maggie are greater than anything I ever could of planned. I am confidant God will do the same for you! (Linda's Turn) I wish we could be there to hug you and go through all the dialogue with you. Instead, we will pray, pray, pray here. Know that you are so very special to us.

 
At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

L and T, I looked up a couple of sites - there are several ranges of EB, and a lot depends on age of onset. EBS is a collection of keratin disorders characterized by intraepidermal blistering with relatively mild internal involvement. Lesions typically heal without scarring. Most commonly, these diseases are dominantly inherited, but recessively inherited cases have been reported. The more severe EBS subtypes include Koebner, Dowling-Meara, and Weber-Cockayne forms. An EBS variant associated with mottled pigmentation has been described in several families. The more severe (probably like the movie you saw) may involve Muscular dystrophy, or.. well squamous cell skin cancer and early mortality.

http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic124.htm

We are all praying for you, and for your future child/children, whoever they may be.... know He is with you. I will send separate emails. Love you, Fran

 
At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom & Lois,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and we hurt with you. I can't imagine what I would do in your situation but I pray, that almighty God will whisper in your ears what you should do and that you will know, without a doubt, the right decision. You both already know that He won't place more on you than what you can handle. I hope you can take comfort in that God already knows the outcome, and He will be in that room before you get there.

We love you guys!

Mike & Krys

 
At 10:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom & Lois,
You have been in our thoughts & prayers, & we want you to know we are saying EXTRA prayers for you right now for God's guidance! Praying also that you will feel reassurance of God's presence, & His love for you. Though there are things we don't understand right now, be assured that God is in control, and that He can bring good from any situation, so it can be a testimony to others. Remember a couple of weeks ago, when the doctor's weren't giving my dad any hope for recovery from his strokes? He is now walking on his own, without assistance & is feeding himself, making progress every day. PTL! That was definitely a God thing--and lots of answered prayer!!! God is there for you too, & will give you guidance in your decisions! Here are some verses that have been a strength to me during some difficult times. Praying they will be an encouragement to you too!

With much love & many prayers,
Gloria & Dan

"Expect God to act! For I know that I shall again have plenty of reasons to praise Him for all that He will do. He is my help! He is my God!" -Psalm 42:11

"I am holding you by your right hand--I, the Lord your God--and I say to you, Don't be afraid; I am here to help you." -Isaiah 41:13

"I want you to trust me in your times of trouble, so I can rescue you, and you can give me glory."
-Psalm 50:15

"Don't be afraid, for I have ransomed you; I have called you by name; you are mine. When you go through deep waters & great trouble, I WILL BE WITH YOU! When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown! When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up--the flames will not consume you. For I am the Lord your God, your Savior . . . you are precious to me & honored, & I love you! Don't be afraid, for I am with you!" -Isaiah 43:1-5

 
At 4:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom & Lois,
It's 5:00 AM in Illinois - which if I am doing my math right - it is 1:00 PM there...We are praying for you and for the boys right now!...We are praying that you can hear God's voice clearly - and that you know He is with you!
God bless and we love you!
The Osborne family

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom and Lois
It is a tough storm you are going through right now, and as with all storms we do not know the outcome, but we do know the God of all storms. I am praying that what is best and right for you will happen, and I am not sure what that is.
As a parent of a special needs child for 30 years I can tell you it has been both the hardest and the most rewarding thing ever. God has used Dee to make me a better person. God works in ways I do not even begin to understand.
May God hold you and give you wisdom in your decisions.
Let me know what I can do to help.
Drew

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom and Lois, I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through. I will be praying though, that you will have a peace one way or the other whether or not these are your children. Hang on...

Shelly

 
At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never blogged. I'm covering for Barb this week so I've had a chance to read your whole story here. I don't know what to say except that I'll be praying for wisdom and discernment for you and that God has great plans for your future. Stephanie Spangler

 
At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We continue to pray - utterances throughout the day as I go about the school, in the car... know that we are with you in our thoughts and He is with you in your actions. Trust in the Lord with all your heart... we know we cannot lean on our OWN understanding... Love you, Fran

 
At 10:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are anxious to hear how you are and what has been happening. Had dozens of people (including a lot of the teens) asking about you tonight at church. You are being upheld in prayer by so many. I've sent some emails to your box when you have time. Love you. I know your day is just beginning as ours is ending will continue to pray for wisdom. We love you

Chel and Ki

 
At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We haven't heard from you and I'm hoping that means you are still in the process and that maybe things are looking up? The prayers are so intense from this end and I want so badly for this to turn out not to be the correct dx. I hope you can get to a computer soon and let us know. I know you will let us know as soon as something is definite. You guys are stronger than you may think, but I know that if it is EB that is major. I know you have looked up things on here so you know all about that disease now too. We love you guys so much and know how hard this must be. The extra, extra prayers will continue. love, Margaret

 
At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still praying.
Anita

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Is Good All The Time, All The Time God Is Good!! Just keep remembering that. Love and many prayers to you both, You go with us throughout the day , in our thoughts and prayers!
Loveya,
Bud & Reta

 
At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom & Lois,
We too, are still in prayer for you and your children!
God loves you both so much and will never give you more that you can handle!
Let us know what we can do!
Love you and God bless,
The Osborne family

 
At 11:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom and Lois,

I have been praying for you since your departure. I know that God and your hearts will lead you to the right decision. I personally know the roller coaster ride but you can be assured it is worth every up and down you will experience. As for the two boys with the skin disorder I don't know much about it myself. If you can take them to a medical facility and/or doctor if that is an option I would encourage you to do that. I know we had to have a physician give Kristina an exam before leaving Honduras which included blood work up as well. So even in a third world country we had this option. But perhaps they won't have skilled personnel to guide you so you must know that we will pray for you and hope that you will be led in the right direction. We all love you and athough we are going through some ups and downs here as well...please know that we surely do love you and pray constantly for the best for you. Lots of love and a big hug from your sister Patti and Family

 
At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never have I checked my computer like I have in the last 48 hours! Both your mom and I have tried to call the number you gave us and both have scared some poor old Ukrainian woman. oops!

I have learned in a new way what it means to pray without ceasing. It seems like continually God is showing me different things to pray for you. Its of great comfort to know that He is with you. We love you. "May the Lord of peace Himself always give you His peace no matter what happens. The Lord be with you" (2 Thess 3:16 NLT).

Chel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home