Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Some thoughts...

Hello!

If you haven't figured it out yet... Lois has done all the postings up to this point. It wasn't that I didn't have anything to say, but she said it for me. I have been thinking of a few things and wanted to share some of my thoughts with you.

ADOPTION...
There is tons of paperwork and as difficult as the paperwork was to complete the first time - the second time was much easier! We had our problems, but nothing was as difficult as looking at those books and trying to pick your children. I don't know if you could ever feel the same thing Lois and I felt... you would have to live it yourself. Then the trip to see the boys... it still brings a lump into my throat and a tear to my eye! Maybe the most difficult thing I've ever had to do?

You know as Christians the Bible says we are adopted into God's family... we are grafted in! We are not a part of the chosen people, but we are now! I don't feel adopted - that's because my Father has done such a good job! You know I want my kids never to feel like they are adopted... they will be my kids and I hope they know the love I feel for them is genuine.

FAMILY...
You know I've always thought as Lois and I as a couple - not a family. The truth is once you become a Christian you enter the family of God. The church is much bigger than just the church we belong - Second Church of Christ. People here in Kiev are praying for us... we had people in Nepal praying for us and we have people in the States praying for us... we are fortunate to have so many people love us! I can tell you that I have felt your love and I am thankful for being a part of your family. I pray that one day Lois and I will have children and we can teach them what FAMILY is all about!

SERVING...
I have been spending a fair amount of time reading a Rob Bell book called, "Velvet Elvis." If you haven't read it - I highly recommend it! Rob Bell is the pastor of Mars Hill church in Grand Rapids, MI and it is one of the fastest growing churches in American history... he was 28 years old when he started it and had over 1000 people at the first service. BTW, there was NO advertising the first service - there wasn't even a sign out front of the building. Two years later his church has over 10,000 members! He is doing something right! I tell you this not to impress you - just to let you know that he has been effective... or should I say, God has been effective through him!

I have been moved by his writing and completed his book just yesterday. I'd like to share a few quotes with you... "The church is at its best when it gives itself away." Wow! Can I tell you that is a powerful statement? Well, it is!!! I have felt the love of the church since I have been here and I can tell you it makes me proud to be a believer! People praying for us and crying with us... you are giving and we have received! This idea continues with another quote, " The church doesn't exist for itself; it exists to serve the world. It is not ultimately about the church; it's about all the people God wants to bless through the church. When the church loses sight of this, it loses it heart. This is especially true in the world we live in where so many people are hostile to the church, many for a good reason. We reclaim the church as a blessing machine not only because that is what Jesus intended from the beginning but also because serving people is the only way their perceptions of the church are ever going to change. This is why it is so toxic for the gospel when Christians picket and boycott and complain about how bad the world is. This behavior doesn't help. It makes it worse. It isn't the kind of voice Jesus wants his followers to have in the world. Why blame the dark for being dark? It is far more helpful to ask why the light isn't as bright as it could be."

You are shining bright!

We love you and could not do this on our own! We have a family who loves us and we love you! Keep shining and we will, too!

Love,

Tom (and Lois)

5 Comments:

At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom & Lois,

Tom, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us...Any child will be blessed to call you Dad and Mom!
We love you, continue to love each other and know that you are in our prayers!

God bless,
The Osborne family

 
At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom and Lois, We are still with you and praying. Maggie wants to know if you will adopt her too because you are both her BFF's. She claims she is ready for new brothers and sisters!!! Art wants you to know that the toys at McDonalds are Chicken Little, too. My children at school want you to know that when you get back with your children they want you to bring them to Second Grade. Also, they want you to read a book in Russian to them. Lois, I had a delightful visit with your mom Sunday at church. She's a great lady like you. Just wanted you to know that today.

Love, Art,Linda, Molly and Maggie

 
At 11:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom, such very powerful words and I too am hoping so much that you guys will be able to share that strength with children who need it so desperately. They have to be there.

love you guys so much!!

Margaret

 
At 1:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many years ago God gave me Isaiah 54 and tonight I know I can give it to you.
1-3 "Shout for joy, O barren one, you who have borne no child; break forth into joyful shouting and cry aloud, you who have not travailed; for the sons of the desolate one will be more numerous than the sons of the married woman," says the Lord. "Enlarge the place of your tent; stretch out the curtains of your dwellings, spare not; lengthen your cords, and strengthen your pegs. For you will spread abroad to the right and to the left, and your descendants will possess nation, and they will resettle the desolate cities."
10 "For the mountains may be removed from you, but My lovingkindness will not be removed from you, and My covenant of peace will not be shaken," says the Lord who has compassion on you.
17 No weapon that is formed against you shall prosper; and every tongue that accuses you in judgment you will condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their vindication is from Me," declares the Lord.

When I first found this chapter I had no idea how God could do these things for me. Just look at me and know He is able. My family just keeps multiplying and He is still caring for me. May He bless you as you share your "travail" with all of us.
Jeannie

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger USMC Crew said...

I add an "Amen" to the words you shared Tom, as well as the words given to you by others... His words, and their/our prayers. We Love You, He Loves You, and we pray for good news and Great Joy!

Love, Fran

 

Post a Comment

<< Home