Tuesday, December 13, 2005

8, 7, 6, 5...

WOW! What a weekend!!! We went to Djoncoy as planned on Friday but FIRST we went and got Tyler and he went with us. We surprised Zach with his big brother! He was elated...of course. Then it got better. We asked the director if we could take Zach with us to Simferopal. In a nutshell, she said, "No, we can't do that, it is against the rules...but no one will check...so, maybe, if we can have him back within an hour of us calling if someone DOES check and we will have you request him for each day of the weekend...so, okay!" Yep - we got Zach for the entire weekend! We had him from about 11 on Friday until Monday morning at 9 a.m. We had Ty for each day from about 10 until about 6. Can I tell you...we FEEL like parents!!!
So, we had a weekend full of firsts. To name a few, our first family dinner, Zach's first pizza, and Tom's first time getting stuck in an elevator (with Ty, Zach and 2 bags of garbage...). We had a great time and we did a lot. We got another set of clothes for each boy, we gave them both bathes (they played for about an hour and had a blast!) We had to take Ty home each night and as he went with Tom and Vasya, I had time alone with Zach. Friday night he got his first bath and he played alone for 45 minutes (with me checking every couple of minutes). I gave him a bottle of bubbles (what harm can he do in the tub with bubbles???) and he used the WHOLE bottle. He was sliding around the tub like a nut! After he got out of the tub, it was about bed time so he, of course, had to go to the bathroom several times. After the last time, he actually went in and went to sleep. Tom called to me and told me to look in the toilet...well, first, let me explain the toilet. In most Ukrainian flats, the toilet room is just that - a toilet in a tiny room. OUR toilet has a broken lid so you can see how it works and you can see the water flowing in to the toilet everytime it flushes. It isn't like an American toilet - it is a little bit different - ANYWAY...you can see inside the tank because the back lid is broken in half...so what child can resist that? Well, not OURS. Apparently after the first visit, he had a thought and got the near empty bubble bottle and decided to see HOW empty it was. And there was enough in it to make quite a few bubble in the toilet tank which in turn made even MORE bubbles when you flushed. So, Zach cleaned his first toilet - unintentionally. We thought it was hysterical. I took a picture. I showed it to him the next morning...and he didn't know a thing about it. Let me tell you, it is easy to deny when you don't speak the same language...THAT will not last! But it was funny, anyway. On Sunday night he had to go to the bathroom about times before he gave up and went to sleep...and on that night he decided to dip a new roll of toilet paper into the back of the tank...I guess just to see what it would do. I tell you what Shelly - I am not allowing ANYONE to get him a squirt gun anytime soon. His mind is always working and he want to test everything.
He also likes the Bejeweled game on the computer - but not so much for the strategy - just for pushing every button on the computer. At one time, he had about 17 windows open. I told Vasya to tell him not to push all the buttons because he could break the computer...he responded, "I am not pushing a bunch of buttons" Uh huh. After this weekend, we have decided we have salt (Tyler) and pepper (Zach). Zach is our tester of limits, our pusher of buttons, our not defiant but not compliant one...Tyler is almost the opposite. I am sure they will both have their days - but this was how the weekend played out. All in all, though, it wasn't too much to handle...but we are tired! He got up sharply at 7:30 (no alarm) and told us "Dobre Ootra!" (Good morning) and made his bed quite neatly. He gave us hugs and kisses and then signaled that he was hungry and wanted to eat. He did this every morning he was here. They are both such great kids...we love them SO much. Soap bubbles in the toilet and all.
On Monday we had to take Zach back and then return to see Ty in a play. He was a bear and although we didn't understand what was going on, it was funny and he did great. We videotaped the play and we were like two proud, beaming parents. It was great - our first school play. Today (Tuesday) we have decided we are outgrowing the orphanage and tomorrow we are asking to take Ty for the whole day. Only 4 more days and they are ours FOREVER. We still have a hard time imagining that - it feels like we have been here forever. This whole thing will be much easier when we get home. And much more difficult, too, I am sure.
One thing we bought on Saturday was black-market videos on DVD with Russian dubbed in - and of course, they were glued to the computer screen. We have the equivalent of 26 full length cartoon (like Toy Story, Shrek and The Incredibles) on 3 DVD's. I am not one to want my kids glued to a TV...but it is about the ONLY thing we can have them do without being with them constantly. SOOO - for now, they are TV faces - and we are okay with it! They will have SO many changes hit them at once - the marathon movies will be a distant memory soon enough.
Tom says HE will blog tomorrow and HE will fill you in on the hinge story and the elevator story.
I will post a few pics and HOPE they come out!
Vissy0!

7 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sure had me giggling reading about the Soap and Water antics. I'm sure glad my Adam never discovered soap in the toilet! Uff! lol! Such happy (and *very* interesting) days ahead of you! I'm smiling from ear to ear thinking of the "kid noises" your house will soon be making. So happy for you all! :O)

Shelly

 
At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEAH! Ki and I just Laughed OUT Loud at your weekend! Reminds me a few nights at our house when you laughed and we didn't ! =) Maybe not water guns, but what about those rubber band guns????? (What do ya think Yatta?)

Sounds like you're doing great! So glad to hear. We are all counting the hours. Think a few of us may start screaming in the wee hours of Thursday when we know they are yours and finally fanelli boys according to the government. Sounds like they are already fanelli's in their hearts!

Even when you get home, there will be days when you all need a marathon movie events!

Love ya. Itchin to show them a trick or two for you!

Ki and Chel

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Lo and Thomas,

Bubbles in the potty! That is too cute. At least you now know he is inquisitive. Sounds like Zach is a science minded guy if you ask me. I bet Ty's play was the greatest even if you didn't know what was going on. I would have been busting my buttons with pride as you said you were. I probably would have been in tears of pride. I find myself doing that alot with my nephew and two neices lately. When Cameron scored his first basket in basketball this year I got teary and goosebumps. I don't know what I would have done if he was actual mine. And Ty is one of YOURS! WOW! You are definately blessed by the Fathers love! I have been sharing your story with my family and some friends here at work. May God continue to bless the Fanelli's and bring them ALL home safely. Hope I can get in touch with you when you return.
All my love,
"Aunt" Heidi

 
At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom & Lois,

I laughed until my sides hurt from - being the parents of two boys is certainly never borning - and I know that when Corey & Cole read this blog - they will be so excited, as they can't wait to teach Ty & Zach all kinds of tricks (around the church).
I am so excited for you - and by the looks of the newest pictures, we are not the only excited ones - you guys look sooooooo happy and parenthood looks good on both of you!

Keep the blog postings and the pictures coming - and know that we are praying hard for the Fab Fanelli Four!

We love and miss you!
God bless,
The Osborne family

 
At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom & Lois...
the best is yet to come!!! There will be so many things that if one doesnt think of it, the other will..and then they will start to cover for each other and you wont know which one to yell at!!!! but remember boys will be boys and that is so true..their minds just work different and I'm sure you know that already Lois!! The pictures are so cute..you can tell they love being with each other..I'm so happy for you all and hopefully you will be on your way soon and safe at home with your family. How cool is that? YOUR FAMILY!!!
Blessing to you all...
Penny

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too can relate oh so well to your boys' antics....did I ever tell you about the children's minister who was WARNED ahead of time about Joel? Well, we certainly have stories. I cannot wait to get to know these typical boys. I enjoyed so much reading your blog and seeing the pictures. What fun you are having, and it will only get better. SO many moments to come.
We love you all and are still praying for you.
Love,
Anita

 
At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all coming together, Welcome to parent hood. The spirit in these two boys will take you to places you never knew existed. The highs and the lows, the good and the bad it's all part of a wonderful thing called being a parent. I love the pictures, I'm praying for a fast and safe trip home.
Vicki

 

Post a Comment

<< Home