Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Hmmm...full circle? Total SCHOOL Experience? FUN with the Principal?

Well, it has been a somewhat mellow couple of weeks. Oh, except for Zach going back to the principal’s office twice (for getting is a shoving match...twice) and today...TYLER went to the principal's office. Why? Because he decked his brother in the bathroom. I don't know exactly why - something to do with a book. And I am guessing that Zach could have won an Oscar for his performance as wounded boy writhing on the floor in pain. But...nonetheless, we have to UNlearn pummeling as a method of problem solving. Sooo - tonight Tyler is having his first time of No TV, No video games (as Kenna calls it "No Screens"). He had a time-out at school and the principal called me and discussed how to punish him. It is actually the substitute principal who has called me all three times. He is great and lets me know what is going on. AND - he goes to our church. Interesting way to get to know other members of the church!

It has been rather uneventful other than that. It seems we have a good day, then a not so good day, then a good day, then a visit to the principal. Keeps us…um – entertained? Involved? Interested?

We had a couple of funny things happen that are quite endearing to us. Last Wednesday night in children’s church, Kenna (the Children’s Minister) was having the kids do an acrostic for the word WORSHIP. Kids called out things that had to do with worship that started with a W and then and O but when it got to R, no one was saying anything. Kenna kept asking and suddenly Tyler yelled out “R – RABBIT!!!” YAY! An English word that he knew started with R! Okay, we don’t worship rabbits, but HEY – one concept at a time. Plus, we ARE coming up on Easter and there are SOME people who worship rabbits around Easter, right? Anyway, we were pretty excited that he got an R word!

Then this past Sunday on our way to church, Zach and Ty had on MP3 players (they discovered those last week and are quite fond of them – and we happen to have several…so lucky them!) We have all Christian music loaded on them and Zach found a song that he liked so he played it over and over (like he does). Then he started singing along and we heard a rather loud off-key rendition of “You Are My Joy” by David Crowder Band – it was so funny and cute to hear this little guy belting out “You Are My Joy, You Are My Joy, You Are My Joy, You Are My JOY!!!” Of course it also happens to be one of Tom and my favorite songs. So, we are hearing more English in the strangest places! A few nights ago at dinner, Tyler just started pointing and saying colors of things – “BLUE! ORANGE! BROWN! YELLOW! RED!” They seem to be “getting” it. Now if we can just keep them from “getting” sent to the principal’s office!

All in all, it gets better every day. They are starting to feel “normal” to me – it is beginning to get hard to remember NOT having them…and NOT going to the principal’s office!!! (Just kidding!) I’m starting to love being a mom. And I am definitely loving these two little guys! I like the big guy in the middle, too!

4 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I should know better than to be eating my lunch and reading your blog. I about choked when I read about Tyler and R-Rabbit. I can just imagine him sitting there waiting for a letter that he knows a word for and then blurting it out.

You need to get a pair of the big boxing gloves that don't really hurt anyone and let them go at it or you could do like Tom and I did and throw rocks at each other.

Sounds like you're having fun.

Geordie

 
At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I'd like to let you know about a Central Illinois Support Group for families with kids adopted from Eastern Europe. Our next meeting will be Saturday,March 18. As of today--the topic is "advocating for our children within the school system." There are both Urkainian and Russian families in the group. If you want more information on the support group or introduction to local families with older kids from Ukraine or Russia--feel free to e-mail me deatley95 at yahoo dot com Y'all are doing great!

 
At 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi.It was so fun reading your ongoing story!We live in Shelton, WA and are waiting to get our Ukraine appointment. It was very encouraging to hear your final success and happiness and how much you relied on prayer! I wonder if you would mind telling us how much your total cost ended up. We heard a story here in town of a $50,000 and know they weren't using Cathy Harris, but want to make sure we're prepared! Thanks for any time you can spare.
Sean and Erica Johnson

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Falling for Ty and Zach said...

Sean and Erica - Ours was a ballpark of around $25K. If you send me your e-mail, I can go more in to deatil (mine is tomandlois@aol.com). A good way to prepare is to realize that "expediting fees" are typical, illegal and expected. If you don't want to pa them, plan on staying a lot longer than you have to when you DO pay them (we paid them AND we were there for almost 2 months!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home